Frequently Asked Questions

How do I make an appointment to see my advisor?

Appointments are booked on-line here. Student Advising Appointments. Additional appointment openings are added every Friday.

Simple questions can often be answered by e-mail...

What should I bring with me to my appointment?

Students should have a valid photo ID. If you are a current student please bring a copy of your most recently updated Degree Audit report. If you are considering transferring to the UofU or if you are a newly transferred student, please bring in a copy of an official or unofficial transcript.

Where do I go for my appointment?

The Biology Advising Office is located in Building 44 Room 135. Students must check-in with Theresa at the front desk in Room 135. If your appointment is at Crocker Science Center Room 240, please check in with the front desk staff. A valid photo ID will be required upon check-in.

If you are not able to make your appointment, please be courteous to the advisors and cancel ahead of time. If you are running late, call the advising office at 801-581-6244.

Building 44 is located west of the Campus Store visitor parking lot and North of Marriott Center for Dance Building. We are a small tan colored brick building that has the Biokids playground attached to it. See Bldg 44 map for details.

Where can I find parking?

Parking is available at the visitor’s parking lot nearest the Marriot Library and Campus Bookstore. We do not validate parking. If you plan to be on campus for a longer period of time a visitor or day pass may be purchased online through Commuter Services for details.

How do I declare BIOLOGY as a major?

You can declare a Biology major (BA/BS/Teaching) by coming in to the Biology Advising Office during business hours (M-F 8:30AM - 4:30PM, closed 12PM-1:00PM) when the University is in session). Please bring a photo ID (Uof U ID card or drivers license). You may also declare over the phone by calling the advising office with your FERPA pin (801-581-6244).

Do I have to declare an "emphasis" to be a Biology major?

No, emphases are not required.

Is there a general Biology minor?

No. At this time, Biology offers minors in Integrative Human Biology (IHB; jointly with Anthropology; the IHB minor IS available to Biology majors) and Biology Teaching.

Can I get credit for independent research? Can independent research count as a Biology lab?

“Yes!” If you are participating in biologically-oriented research in a lab at the University of Utah (and with approval, at the VA or other research facilities), you can enroll in Biol 4955: Individual research, which counts as both an upper division biology course AND a biology lab towards your Biology degree (Biol 4955 Individual research can be counted once, for a max of 3 credits and 2 lab units).