Bioscience Summer Research Program for High School Students
June 8 - July 30, 2015
Application Deadline: Postmarked by March 4, 2015
The Bioscience Program at the University of Utah seeks to increase the participation of students in biological research and to encourage them to prepare for careers in research, medicine, and education. To this end the Program sponsors an eight-week Bioscience High School Summer Research Program through which students receive training and research experience in a university setting. Applications are now being accepted for the 2015 program. The students admitted will receive:
- A two-week intensive laboratory techniques course that meets daily.
- A six-week individual research experience on campus, with a University faculty member serving as the research mentor.
- Potential research topics that span the broad spectrum of the biological sciences -- from ecology to biochemistry.
- A $500 stipend.
Students who complete the program are likely to improve their chances of obtaining college scholarships and subsequent undergraduate laboratory research experiences.
Application deadline: March 4, 2015 (postmarked)
Program dates: June 8- July 30, 2015
Students are required to remain fully engaged with the program for the full eight weeks.
Criteria for admission include:
- Applicant must be a resident of Utah
- Completed application form
- High School transcript(s)
- Two letters of recommendation, at least one from a science teacher
- Statement describing interest in the biological sciences and future goals
- Completion of grade 11 or equivalent by the beginning of the program
- Completion of three years of math
- Completion of a three science courses (including biology and chemistry)
University of Utah
Building 44, Room 224
Bioscience Undergraduate Research Program
University of Utah
Department of Biology
257 South 1400 East
Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0840