Biology Advising - Petitioning an Out-of-State Transfer Course

In-State Transfer Guide

1. Send syllabi of courses you wish to petition as a PDF attachment to

2. Make sure that the body of the email follows the format below:

  • U of U Major
  • uID
  • Name
  • Previous Institution
  • Semester and Year Taken            Ex: Fall 2018
  • Format Taught                            In-person or On-line
  • Course Equivalencies                   Ex: Biology xxx for BIOL 1210

3. Petitions are then forwarded to the Curriculum Committee for review. Evaluation times vary depending on semester.

4. Once a decision has been reached you will be notified via your umail address. If you have applied to the University of Utah but not received a Uid/Umail account please note this in your e-mail.


If your request is approved you need to:

If you need to request a permission code.

If you are have declared a major in biology and you need the class or classes to count towards major requirements you will need to make sure that your transfer courses show up on your degree audit.

  • You will want to check your degree audit regularly.
  • Once your transfer classes show up on your audit, send an email to stating that your courses are now on your audit and to please enter the appropriate degree audit exceptions.
  • Degree exceptions can only be entered for student who have declared a biology major. We do not enter degree exceptions for students who are undeclared or declared in a non-biology major.


If you are petitioning Math, Chemistry, or Physics courses, those syllabi should be sent to those departments. Have the Department notify once courses have been approved so that they can be applied towards the Biology Major.

Math: (online)
Physics: (online)
Petition for General Education Courses