Ecology, Evolution and Organismal Biology

Financial Support

Teaching assistantships

All graduate students accepted into the Ph.D. program are guaranteed 5 years of support.  Departmental support for graduate students accepted into the Master’s program is extremely limited and awarded on a case-by-case basis when available.  Support is in the form of a teaching assistantship that currently pays $22,000 per year.  Teaching assistantships also cover the costs of health insurance.  Ph.D. students are eligible for one semester free of teaching during their tenure with no change in the stipend amount.  Teaching assistantships can be supplemented through other grants (to either the student or the advisor) up to a maximum of $27,000 per year.   It may be possible to teach two classes per semester or two sections of the same class to permit more time for research in some semesters.  This option depends upon the course and permission from the instructor.

The cost of living in Salt Lake City is relatively low by national standards, and most students find that they can live comfortably on the basic stipend. (Cost-of-living comparisons among cities can be made at

Other sources of funding

There are several campus-wide NIH graduate training grants, including ones in Genetics, Developmental Biology, Biological Chemistry, Cancer, Microbial Pathogenesis, and Hematology. These provide stipend support (currently $22,920 per year) and provide opportunities to participate in a variety of interdepartmental, discipline-specific activities including journal clubs, seminar series, and yearly retreats. Eligibility requirements differ among the training programs; some (for example, Genetics and Developmental Biology) invite students who have passed their qualifying exams to submit competitive applications for positions as they become open.

The University offers a limited number of Graduate Research Fellowships, Competitive University Teaching Assistantships, and other University fellowships. Information can be found on the financial aid page maintained by the Graduate School. A list of federal (NSF, NIH, EPA, etc.) and private (HHMI, etc.) national graduate fellowship programs can also be found at that site.